Giving Grandparents Month is all September long!
During the month of September our lobby activities will be focused on family interaction and giving. Families can use tissue paper, recycled products and construction paper to design and create paper apple ornaments that can be added to our community Giving Tree. This activity provides an opportunity for families to learn more about philanthropy and the act of giving. Also available to check out from our Greeter's Desk will be the Museum's favorite marble game - Knuckle Down! Grandparents can teach their grandchildren about the game of marbles, and maybe show them a trick or two!
Plus, throughout the Museum will be additional signage providing Grandparent Tips specially tailored to encourage memory making and provide prompts for generational story sharing.
Seattle Children's Museum Memberships are a great way for grandparents to spend time with their grandchildren in a safe, interactive and fun environment. During the month of September (from September 6th through 30th), stop by our Box Office to add Grandpa or Grandma to your membership for just $5 each. Need to purchase a new Membership? Great! You can also add Grandpa or Grandma for $5 each at the Box Office.
Why add a Grandparent to your membership? Multi-generational relationships are one of the 40 Developmental Assets® that the Search Institute has proven is important for a child's development. We want to encourage those relationships by providing a safe and engaging environment for Grandparents to make memories with their grand kids.
The Museum Retail Shop is featuring select games that are fun for all ages! Put away the electronic tablet or video game controller and teach the kiddos in your life about some of the games you might have played as a kid! Dominoes, Marbles and the Trapeze Monkey are great games from toy producer Retro Toys that will pass on the legacy of simple games to your kids and grand kids. Basic hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and simple math are all taught through these games, with great fun that can last for hours!
Giving Grandparents can engage in many ways at the Museum:
The generosity of grandparents has a wonderful impact on the generations that follow: giving time, energy, wisdom and resources is an investment in the future. Giving Grandparents can engage in many ways at the Museum all year 'round!
- Give of your time by planning an outing with your grandchildren. The Museum provides a safe place to play and many activities that will create life-long memories. Check out our daily program calendar for additional activities during your visit.
- Give a year's worth of memories with a Membership and you are blessing two generations - your kids and your grand-kids! They get a year's worth of free play that will wear out the kids (extra long nap times!) and enhance their learning. Buy a Membership at our Box Office in September and you can add yourself for $5!
- Give a memorable birthday gift by purchasing a Gift Card! Gift Cards can be applied towards Birthday Parties, Camps and more!
- Give of your resources. As a non-profit, the Seattle Children's Museum depends on the generosity of our community to bring imagination alive for our visitors!
- Give your wisdom and experience by volunteering at the Museum. Whether supporting families by volunteering in the exhibits or supporting staff by assisting with projects, your help is always welcome!
- Give yourself a break! Our friends over at PEPS are hosting their 3rd annual Grandparent Happy Hour, followed by a Gracious Grandparenting Lecture. Learn more about making the most of the parent-child-grandparent relationship and have some fun while you are at it!