Upcoming Discovery Days Camp 2020
Monday – Washington Way Back: Focus on past and place
Tuesday – Wild Washington: Take a look at the Wildlife and Nature all around you.
Wednesday – Washington Wellness: Learn about local healthy food options and ways Washingtonians keep active. Thursday – Washington Writes: Get to know authors that call Washington home.
Friday – Washington Wired: From smartphones to spaceships technology is all around us, but how does it work?
July 6-10: Splash into Summer:
Splash into the science, wonder, and play of summertime!
- Monday – Wacky Water: Dive in and discover the fascinating physics of water. This building block of life is truly amazing!
- Tuesday – Bubbles, Bubbles, Bubbles!: Pop! Discover the magic of bubbles; what makes the BEST bubble recipe? Explore why bubbles stick together, and so much more.
- Wednesday – Into the Wild: Do you have what it takes to navigate through the wilderness confidently? We’ll make a compass and then set off into the unknown, all without leaving the Seattle Center!
- Thursday – Fill your World with Color: Connect to your creative side through classic camp crafts!
- Friday – Salish Sea and Me: Gain an appreciation and initial understanding of the vibrant past, vital present and future of the Pacific Northwest’s First Peoples. We’ll explore culturally relevant stories and art with special Museum guest teaching artists.
July 13-17: Captivating Classics:
What makes a story timeless? Explore classic tales; turn them upside down, and make them into something new. Maybe it will be a new classic!
- Monday – Wild Thing, You Make my Heart Sing: Celebrate your wild side! Inspired by Where the Wild Things Are, we’ll spend the day making masks, attending a Wild Rumpus, and letting our imaginations run wild!
- Tuesday – Neverland Explorers: “First star to the right; straight on ‘til morning!” Follow Pan, Wendy and the Lost Boys and learn basic outdoor skills. Brush up on your mermaid lore and sword play while building the best fort ever!
- Wednesday – Transported to Narnia: You’ll be whisked away in an immersive literary experience to enter the land of Narnia. Step through the wardrobe to meet a fawn, dryad and other characters as you explore this magical realm.
- Thursday – Welcome to Wonderland: Follow the White Rabbit through the tunnels to reach Wonderland, play croquet with the Queen, and enjoy our special tea party treats!
- Friday – Onto Platform 9 ¾: It’s Wizardry 101. We will use science, art, and movement to explore ways of making the ordinary magical, and the extraordinary attainable.
July 20-24: That’s Gross!
Join us for a week of gross science. We’ll play with polymers, make slime, learn to love the lowly mold, and so much more!
- Monday – Let’s Look Inside: Have you ever wondered, “What’s inside… a seed… the Earth… a human body? We’ll take a look at our own DNA, make a model cell, and explore the world around us from the inside out.
- Tuesday – Oooey Gooey: From magnetic slime to “liquid glass” learn how to follow recipes, experiment with variables, and make a wide variety of slimy concoctions!
- Wednesday – Let’s Get Gaseous: Turn testable questions into an experiment! Make a hot air balloon rise, test whether air takes up space, in this day devoted to exploring our favorite state of matter: gas!
- Thursday – Creepy Crawlers: Wiggle you way into the amazing world of insects; learn about bugs, bees, and more!
- Friday – Eeeww, Do You Smell That?: Learn the how and why behind the smells that make your nose scrunch.
August 3-7: Through the Ages:
This week, we will become time travelers. We will explore various time periods and the different ways archeologists learn about them.
- Monday – Dig It!: Become a paleontologist for the day as we make our own fossils and practice excavation skills.
- Tuesday – Medieval Merriment: Explore ye olde times at camp! Come in costume or come as you are. Knights in armor, princesses, and renaissance activities abound!
- Wednesday – Space Age: Get ready for an out of this world adventure as w launch ourselves up to the stars and then bring our chocolate astronauts safely back home.
- Thursday – Steampunk: We’ll look back in time and celebrate inventors of the past. Then fast forward to the future and make our own inventions combining historical elements and innovations in technology.
- Friday – Change the World: The future is in your hands! How will you make the world a better place? Start small by becoming the best version of yourself.
August 10-14: FUNdamentals of Science:
Explore every day observable phenomenon and connect science concepts to your everyday life.
- Monday – What Goes Up, Must Come Down: Test what you think you already know about gravity; the facts might surprise you.
- Tuesday – Ready, Set. Go!: We’ll experiment with simple materials to transfer potential energy into kinetic energy, compare wheel designs, and build our own racetracks!
- Wednesday – Up, Up, and Away: 3…2…1…BLASTOFF! Explore the different ways humans have achieved flight!
- Thursday – Kitchen Chemistry: Stir, pour, mix, measure! Use your kitchen skills to conduct edible experiments.
- Friday – Junior Engineers: Become a Junior Engineer by building your own toy! Take your fantastic idea and turning it into an invention.
August 17- 21: Let Your Imagination Lead the Way:
Our last week of camp will be all about earning through play. We’ll stretch our imaginations and our muscles as we wrap up our summer.
- Monday – Detective Day: Help us solve the mystery of the missing jewels! To prepare we will need to learn how to crack secret codes, run through a laser maze, and become junior detectives.
- Tuesday – Clowning Around: Have you ever wanted to join the circus? Now’s your chance! We’ll dress in outrageous clothes, practice miming, and discover our inner clown.
- Wednesday – Superhero Day: Everybody has a superpower, what is yours? Join us today to find out!
- Thursday – Field Day!: On your marks, get set, GO! Race into a fun-filled day as we play all the classic field day games.
- Friday – Greatest Hits!: Today is the last day of camps, so sad! We’ll finish with flourish, revisiting our favorite programs of the summer. -The messiest, the coolest, the most amazing ones!
To sign up for a full day of camp, register for both the morning and afternoon sessions. If you wish to register for post-care, you may do so when you view your cart.
If you have questions or need assistance, please email DiscoveryDayCamps@nullthechildrensmuseum.org